It happened so quickly. I was with my husband at his doctor’s appointment and stepped outside because I couldn’t catch my breath. My inhaler offered no relief. Suddenly, I felt myself sliding down the wall. Gasping for air, a passerby dialed 911 and I was transported by EMSA to the Hillcrest South Emergency Department. After a quick examination, Dr. Myers, my nurse Melissa, and the medical team ruled out a heart attack and continued to work on opening my airway.
Only later did I learn I was having a severe allergy-induced asthma attack which was constricting my airway. Throughout my treatment the emergency department staff kept me calm and reassured me that I would be OK. I’m so grateful for the compassion I felt from the staff and that I’m alive today to tell my story. They saved my life.
To learn more about the Hillcrest South Emergency Department, please click here.
Hillcrest South is currently giving away free mini firs-aid kits!